Foot Specialists in Chiropody
Foot Care Specialists, or Chiropodists, focus on the diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing care of heel, ankle, and foot conditions for patients of all ages. From ingrown toenails to soft tissue surgery, the Family Wellness Clinic Chiropodist, Tony Hu, can assess and treat your condition with professional training and care.
Foot Care Treatments
At the Family Wellness Clinic, we provide a variety of services for the treatment of the foot and ankle, including conditions and care such as:
- Nail care: Toenail problems, such as extreme thickness, fungal infections, or discoloured nails.
- Ingrown toenails: Nails which grow into the skin on either side of the nail, and become infected. Pain occurs from built-up pressure and infection sites. Blood and pus may be present.
- Corns/ Calluses: Areas where hard, thick skin build up due to rubbing or pressure. Pain may hinder mobility.
- Plantar Warts: A contagious virus that appears as a bump on the sole of your foot.
- Arch Pain: Pain that occurs in the arch, or contour of your foot.
- Heel Pain/ Plantar Fasciitis: Most common cause of heel pain. The plantar fascia connects your heel to your toes, and supports your arch.
- Ankle Sprains: Torn ankle ligaments. Pain may occur when placing pressure on that foot.
- Ankle Braces: Used to protect your ankle and support it when injured.
- Wound Care/Ulcer Management: Diabetic foot ulcers may require various treatments, such as therapeutic footwear (custom orthotics), saline dressings, and antibiotic ointments.
- Soft Tissue Surgery: Tendon, ligament, or heel surgery, for example.
- Biomechanical Evaluations: Used to identify structural foot problems.
- Custom Orthotics (Plaster of Paris, non-weight bearing cast): Specially designed to fit your feet and the way you move, to support and enhance mobility, and provide pain relief. Orthotics can be used to treat such conditions as foot, ankle, and heel pain, plantar fasciitis, and diabetic foot ulcers.
- Compression Therapy (Jobst): Helps manage venous conditions. May be used to relieve aching, heavy legs, treat conditions such as lymphedema, thrombosis, varicose vein treatment, and leg ulcers.
Diabetic Foot Care
Tony Hu also specializes in diabetic foot care, which requires an additional two years of specialized training. Diabetic nerve damage can cause a number of foot problems, including insensitivity to pain, heat, cold, cuts, and dry skin. It may also cause feet and toes to change shape over time, causing calluses and blisters from regular style shoes. If you are a diabetic, it is vital that you have annual diabetic foot assessments by a foot care specialist to discuss any concerns and plan ongoing care. Our Chiropodist will inspect every aspect of your foot, including skin, toes, foot temperature, reflexes and pressure tests, for example, and will also inspect your shoes. This type of assessment helps to identify any existing and potential conditions that may negatively impact your health and quality of living.
Tony Hu, B.Sc., D.Pod.M
At Family Wellness Clinic, Tony Hu uses his experience and training in all aspects of foot health to provide his patients with specialized care. He cares for patients with skin and nail pathologies, diabetic ulcers and other diabetic conditions, and those who require wound care and soft tissue surgery. He performs biomechanical assessments and designs custom orthotics to help patients of all ages increase mobility and stability. He is also certified to fit and dispense custom compression stockings. A script from your family doctor is required for stockings, as it identifies the prescribed compression recommended specifically for you.
To book an appointment with Tony Hu, no doctor referral is required.